I have been running an experiment for a month. Does consistent writing increases followers, more than unlocking posts?
The results were staggering. Unlocking posts and publishing every day, raised my followers by 113 over one month. Locking posts and publishing every day, raised my followers by 150 in the same time frame.
2. Read, comment and engage with others. This one is pretty much common sense if you engage with people they will engage with you. A proportion will follow you.
3. Link your other social media. I have a consistent look to all my social media accounts. The same profile picture and a similar biography. On each of my accounts is a link back to my Medium profile.
4. Join Facebook Groups. There are so many groups where writers offer each other support. Some will follow you, especially if they read your articles and like them.
5. Join publications. If you are a new writer this is essential. Publications, as mentioned yesterday, will place your writing in front of a wider audience.
6. Unlock older posts. I believe there is an argument for unlocking some of your posts.
For new readers on Medium, they are more likely to follow you, if they can access your content. A large proportion will pay for membership and carry on accessing your content.
Remember an increase in followers will not increase revenue. Followers at the end of the day is a number like everything else. Consistent quality writing will keep your new followers coming back for more.