The advice to ignore and the advice to follow.
I have read all the articles on tips and tricks to increase your followers. None of them has worked. I now ignore them completely. I have already broken one of the golden rules.
So how do you improve your writing experience and gain followers?
Break the Rules
- Many experts say never talk about yourself in a blog. What a load of rubbish. Posts on Medium that include personal stories do better than many other stories. Even how-to posts, benefit from a personal insight into how these tips have helped you.
- Write only for the audience. If you are not enjoying your writing and writing for yourself, the readers will pick up on it. I could churn out many technical posts, but it would bore me. I write the articles, I would be interested in reading.
- Comment to gain followers. Yes commenting will gain you more followers. However, ensure you are commenting because you have something to add. So you can be part of the debate and reach out to that author. Don’t comment, just to get a follow, it is fake and people will see through it.
- Follow people to gain followers back. If you follow this approach, your timeline will be full of articles that don’t interest you. The reading community on medium will have lost a member.
Advice to Take
- Have a publication that suits the type of articles you write. It doesn’t have to have the most followers but has to relate to your work. Once you find this publication, become a writer and use it to your full advantage. Be loyal to them and build up a relationship with the editor and publication readers.
- Use your stats to work out what works on Medium. What is the ideal length of a post? What types of posts get the most views? Use your stats don’t obsess about them.
- Make time and write all the types of writing that you enjoy. Doesn’t matter whether this is poetry, fiction or non-fiction. The more topics you write about, the more readers will see your work.
- Curation does matter, not immediately, but it will enhance the longevity of your posts. Try to follow the rules and become curated.
The requirements of readers is a constantly evolving thing. To continue encouraging followers we have to change with it. A writer needs to adapt to a reader, as a car designer, adapts to his customers. Don’t be afraid to try new things in your writing.
Show authenticity in your writing and see your followers increase