Why as a reader you should be supporting other writers.
As a writer, you can share your wisdom through your writing tips and stories of success. As a reader though you hold all the power.
Think about your favourite author. You buy their books, pre-order their new editions and recommend their books. You as the reader have the power to make or break an author. The easiest way to thank these authors for their amazing work is by leaving a positive review. How many of you do this for every read?
This reader power is also true on Medium.
The first change we saw on Medium was for reading time to be converted into payment. This system personally changed the reader in me. I stopped skim reading and started digesting the work of others.
The second recent change has been the change to our homepage. Medium is now showing us more of the writers we have interacted with. This can be through a follow, someone you read regularly or a favourite topic.
The claps we give an article will also push it in front of more eyes. Readers have the power to change the fate of an article.
There is a lot of negative energy with regards to women writers, writing about their life.
Self-interest articles are ruining Medium.
It is a quote that I have heard several times. I do not subscribe to that theory. All humans have a voice and should be encouraged to use it.
If the stories these women publish, help one person, where is the problem? The fact that all these haters are missing is, if there wasn’t an audience for this writing, no one would write it.
Readers through their interactions, influence writers more than they think. All writers look at their stats and then write posts in a similar vein to those posts that were successful. If you want the human interest stories to disappear then stop reading them.
Five ways to use your reader power to support writers.
- Write a review if you read a book and enjoy it. Share your review on social media and spread your love for the book.
- Subscribe to a writers email list and newsletter. Reply to a proportion of these emails to let the writer know you are there.
- Join the launch team for writers books or beta read their latest novel. It is not only a great way to support a writer it is also a great way to read their new book early.
- Follow the writer on their other social media platforms. Interact with them there and share their work with your followers.
- Clap/like, comment and share their articles. The more you share the post, the more it will be shown to other readers. It takes less than 15 seconds to give someone 50 claps. All of us can spare 15 seconds.
“If you want to be a writer, you must do two things above all others: read a lot and write a lot.” — Stephen King
Writers must read to improve their skills. Whilst learning from others it is important we show them the respect they deserve. Take five minutes out of your day to support a writer.
Take the time to support your fellow writers, they will be there supporting you when you needed it. Anyway why wouldn’t you support others, it’s the decent thing to do.